Caribbean Mountain Academy Semester Program Overview
The Purpose of the short-term program in the Dominican Republic is to provide brief, structured intervention for teens who are in need of a therapeutic, faith-based, adventure program. Your teen will be immersed in the Dominican culture! They will LEARN more about who they are and who God intended them to be, GROW in their faith and leadership, and SERVE those less fortunate through the skills and gifts with which God has blessed them. Gain an appreciation of the natural beauty and friendliness of the Dominican people. They will study abroad in high school and gain confidence, independence, and a global perspective.
4-8 students; ages 13-17
Spring Semester 2017
Dates: Jan 6 – May 27 Application Deadline: 12/2/16 Deposit Deadline: 12/16/16
Fall Semester 2017
Dates: Aug 19 – December 16 Application Deadline: 7/21/17 Deposit Deadline: 7/28/17
Dates subject to change
We want to help each of our students catch up, keep up or get ahead educationally. Most of our students struggle with school not because of ability, but rather focus and direction—especially given the struggles that they have been battling. Students earn high school credits through our credit recovery on-line school system (APEX). The Caribbean Mountain Academy is accredited through Christian Schools International. Learn more about our schooling here.
Does your teen need to meet a service learning requirement? Does their high school require them to volunteer to complete graduation requirements? Are they applying to top colleges that are asking for their service learning experience? They will serve with other students and short-term mission groups in the local Dominican communities. Embrace the joy of local communities that live off of needs instead of wants. Not only will they be able to have an unforgettable semester studying abroad, while having a truly, unique cultural experience, they will also be able to serve the Dominican Republic. They will pursue a deeper level of immersion through volunteerism. This is their chance to get to know the local Dominican Republic community outside of the classroom while they are here. There’s no better way to learn a language and understand a culture than working with the community on a project that matters. They will be able to boost their college application while they spend time with us!
Teens will experience the beauty of the Dominican Republic through visiting and exploring some of these beautiful locations:
- Lagoona Du Du – This freshwater inland lagoon surrounded by 35 ft cliffs, swings, jumps, caving will provide a physical challenge, sense of accomplishment, team work, and a new appreciation for God’s Creation.
- Monti Christi – Students will have fun, relax, and learn when they visit the historical sites of first colonies of the “New World” treasure hunt and spend time at the beach.
- Beach Camping Trip – Students will get to witness God’s beautiful creation while also working together as a team while “roughing” it in the beaches of the Dominican.
- Pico Duarte – This will be the longest and most challenging excursion. Providing the students many team building opportunities, a great physical challenge, a sense of accomplishment, and gaining a new appreciation for God’s Creation.
- 27 Waterfalls – One of our most beautiful excursions will provide students a fun and adventurous outing at the waterfalls. Students will be physically challenged, but rewarded in accomplishment and beauty.
- …and much more!
Family support and participation is the key to a successful program. The Spring program starts Jan 6th, Fall August 19th with a Kick-Off weekend for the entire family. This weekend will include a detailed layout of the program, tour of the campus, meetings with staff, team building activities, and a trip in to town to see local attractions. Throughout the program parents will be expected to participate in family counseling sessions (via video conferencing) and will have opportunities for one-on-one calls each week. The program will end with a short family mission trip where students will lead their families in to the communities they have been serving and programming on campus to prepare families for the transition back home.
Academic Semester: $5000 per month; Scholarships available. $1000 Deposit refundable after program completion (minus any unpaid costs). If you pay the deposit, then do not attend the program, the deposit is not refundable.
What’s included in the program fee:
- Room & Board
- 3 meals per day
- Support and counseling services from our staff and Therapists for both the Teen and Family
- Post Program Family Coaching Sessions (7)
- 1 White CMA Polo, 1 Blue CMA Polo
- Mission Outings
- 24-hour emergency support
- Greeting upon arrival at the airport and transportation to/from CMA
- Arrival Orientation at CMA
- Kick-off Weekend
- Family Mission Trip – closing weekend
- Letter of recommendation upon request and successful completion of the program
Applications for our short-term program should be received by December 2, 2016 for the Spring Semester and July 21, 2017 for the Fall Semester.
Sound like your kind of adventure? Sign up now! Complete the Online Application
Not quite ready to spend a semester away? Check out our Summer Program
The goal for the semester program is to catch up on credits with our self-paced online curriculum while strengthening families who are at risk. This short-term program is designed to work with teens who can gain from short-term residential treatment and are in need of intervention to prevent behavior that may require placement in the future. Caribbean Mountain Academy does offer long-term residential care – learn more here.