Summer Camps for Troubled Teens
Troubled Teen Summer Program
**APPLICATION DEADLINE IS MAY 19, 2017**
Is summer approaching and you’re wondering how you’re going to manage your teen? Have you done everything you can think of to help your troubled teenager? Have you considered one of our summer camps for troubled teens?
Yelling, crying, pleading, reasoning, grounding, taking away privileges, individual counseling, family counseling, pastoral counseling… just to name a few! Do you feel like you are talking to a brick wall?
Until your struggling teen admits that they need to change and opens their heart to doing so, your efforts are going to continue to produce the same results that you have been experiencing. The goal of our Teen Summer Program at Caribbean Mountain Academy is to break down the walls and create the opportunity for change that you’ve been looking for. We will provide brief, structured intervention for families who are in need of a therapeutic, faith-based, adventure program in a safe and loving environment. Many parents scour the internet looking for a solution for their teen for the summer. At Crosswinds, we believe our Teen Summer Program at Caribbean Mountain Academy enables teens to authentically change, without using tactics normally associated with a military basic training program or a teen boot camp.
A summer of service at Caribbean Mountain Academy can be the perfect catalyst for change that will last a lifetime. Our Christian boarding school environment not only removes your teen from the influence of friends for the summer, it offers a holistic approach to getting your troubled child back on the right path by working with our passionate staff.
How does this change happen?
Change Through Service
We believe that helping others is transformative and the key to opening the door to lasting change. Laughing and playing with kids who have grown up in poverty, letting them finally experience the joy of childhood… that’s life changing. Building a home for a family that’s been living in a rusty shack for years, seeing tears well up the first time they walk through the door— this is what changes us.
If you’re in need of intervention, summers at Caribbean Mountain Academy are packed with on and off campus service projects completed with visiting mission teams. During the summer, teens at Caribbean Mountain Academy spend their time serving those less fortunate than themselves; creating, working, and building with Dominicans to improve the lives of those in their community. Our goal is for our students to see the joy the local communities have while having so few of what we consider “life’s luxuries”. Visiting mission teams also work alongside the students, adding life and energy to the campus and showing students what it means to serve joyfully.
Summer service projects may include:
- Refurbishing a local baseball field and basketball courts so area kids have a safe place to play.
- Building an access road to a poor mountain village.
- Working on the the fish ponds and a green house.
- Restoring dilapidated houses providing a safer place for Dominican families to live.
- Organizing sports and games for local children.
Change Through New Experiences
The summer program is designed to have an excursion each weekend. Our goal is for the students to work hard through the week in treatment and in serving the community and then be able to learn more about themselves on the weekends by experiencing some of God’s beautiful creations in the Dominican Republic. We believe that sometimes, laughter really is the best medicine. Has your teen ever been tubing down a jungle river? Swimming in waterfalls and basking on beaches. Hiked the tallest mountain in the country? Snorkeled in crystal blue water? Experiencing nature in an exciting new way can open a teen’s eyes to the beauty of the world they live in and be an important part of the changing process. Our Teen Summer Program is filled with exciting new experiences for our students.
Teens will experience the beauty of the Dominican Republic through visiting and exploring these beautiful locations:
- Lagoona Du Du – This freshwater inland lagoon surrounded by 35 ft cliffs, swings, jumps, caving will provide a physical challenge, sense of accomplishment, team work, and a new appreciation for God’s Creation.
- Monti Christi – Students will have fun, relax, and learn when they visit the historical sites of first colonies of the “New World” treasure hunt and spend time at the beach.
- Beach Camping Trip – Students will get to witness God’s beautiful creation while also working together as a team while “roughing” it in the beaches of the Dominican.
- Pico Duarte – This will be the longest and most challenging excursion. Providing the students many team building opportunities, a great physical challenge, a sense of accomplishment, and gaining a new appreciation for God’s Creation.
- 27 Waterfalls – One of our most beautiful excursions will provide students a fun and adventurous outing at the waterfalls. Students will be physically challenged, but rewarded in accomplishment and beauty.
- Rafting, Repelling, Camping and much more!
Healing for Families
We know that parenting a troubled teen can be a painful experience for the whole family. We also realize that each family situation is unique and comes with a different set of needs. That’s why, while a teen is experiencing our summer program, the rest of the family will undergo in-home therapy to begin the healing process and prepare for their teen’s return. Please note that our program is not affiliated with “New Horizons Youth Ministries”.